New Dyson Upright - DC33!
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:34 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: New Dyson Upright - DC33!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:39 pm 

Dyson have today launched a new upright model, the DC33, in 3 variants: 'Multifloor' (£249.99), 'Stubborn' (£269.99), and 'Animal' (£299.99).

http://www.dyson.co.uk/store/hmc.asp

Tipping the scales at 8kg, the DC33 is billed as 'a lighter-weight upright', and appears to be a hybrid of the DC14/DC27. The bin/cyclone pack and dusting tools are sourced from the DC27, while the rest of the machine has remained from the ever-popular DC14 - including the non-Quickdraw wand release. The pre-motor filter is now located beside the motor, as on the DC01/07/27.

Presumably, these new models replace the ageing DC14, and supplement the DC27 as a slightly lower-cost, marginally lighter, more basic upright. I'm concerned that Dyson may risk confusing customers with their new 'Multifloor' designation, which seems identical to the former 'All Floors' tag...

Attachments:
33multifloor.JPG
33multifloor.JPG [ 18.76 KiB | Viewed 9809 times ]
33multifloor2.JPG
33multifloor2.JPG [ 21.37 KiB | Viewed 9809 times ]

Post subject: Re: New Dyson Upright - DC33!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:56 pm 

Dyson model: DC14 Animal
Thanks, I hadn't heard about this. I absolutely agree about the "Mutlifloor" tag. Do Dyson realise how confusing their product naming is to potential customers? Even for enthusiasts it's hard to make sense of and I quite appreciate that most people don't really want to learn all about vacuum cleaners before buying one - they just want a good one that works without having to take a degree in Dysonology first!

Anyway, the new machine looks like a good move when viewed as a slightly improved DC14. It's got 255AW of pure suction power which is the same as the DC27, but not as much as the DC14's 280AW. I wouldn't be surprisedif pick-up performance was very similar though. If it reaches DC14 prices I should think it will be very popular and even the small reduction in weight will be appreciated. The "parts bin" approach should result in a reliable machine from the word go too.

Right, I'm not going to be out-done again so I'll be the first to announce the brand new Dyson.......DC34! You read it here first ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:53 pm 

Haha - I wonder what form the DC34 will take!

I agree with you, I think Dyson are onto a winning formula with this machine - take a tried-and-tested model, and make it more efficient and user-friendly!

I must confess I've never warmed to the DC27; my main criticism is the sheer noise the thing makes - loud and high-pitched. I rarely use mine for that reason alone. It would also have been nice to see it using a softer-bristled version of the American equivalent's round brushroll/dual-motor set-up, rather than the clutch. I've never felt the pick-up compared to the older Origin models, or the DC25 - Which? Magazine's test results seem to confirm this.

On paper, the 33 sounds like a great deal when compared to the 27; I would definitely be prepared to forgo the 27's QuickDraw wand for a cleaner which was lighter, less bulky and less expensive, but which offered the same pick-up power, and a washable HEPA filter on all 3 variants. If it's also quieter, I'm sold!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:53 am 

This new Dyson DC33 looks good, replacing the DC14 and an addition to the DC27. This is what I call Dyson's 'bread and butter' models :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:27 pm 

I notice in the latest edition of the Argos catalogue, the DC27 has been dropped from the line-up, and the 3 new DC33 models have been added.

Also, all models previously known as 'All Floors' or 'Wood + Wool' have been renamed 'Multi Floor'.

The 'Wood + Wool' tag didn't last long!! I guess Dyson shared our concerns about customer confusion!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:30 pm 

I've noticed a lot of places have dropped the DC27 in favour of the new DC33! Does this mean the DC27 has a short life?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:32 pm 

DC33 gets its own banner on the Dyson.com homepage!

Attachments:
dc33banner.JPG
dc33banner.JPG [ 30.78 KiB | Viewed 9735 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:52 pm 

Dyson model: DC14 Animal
dysonanimal wrote:
I notice in the latest edition of the Argos catalogue, the DC27 has been dropped from the line-up, and the 3 new DC33 models have been added.

Also, all models previously known as 'All Floors' or 'Wood + Wool' have been renamed 'Multi Floor'.

The 'Wood + Wool' tag didn't last long!! I guess Dyson shared our concerns about customer confusion!

That's interesting as I really expected it to be a DC14 replacement. Thank goodness they have tidied up the variant names a bit but "multifloor" - what was wrong with "Allfloors"?!

Anyway, it's good to know they read this forum ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:31 pm 

Had a quick look at the DC33 Multi Floor today - some observations:

- Head is designed like a DC14 All Floors, but the 'large debris channel' has gone
- Pre-motor filter is similar to the DC07/14s, but the inner foam filter has been replaced by the newer style filter
- Post-motor HEPA filter similar to DC27/28
- Telescope Reach wand now made of a plastic material, rather than aluminium, contributing to overall weight reduction
- Telescope Reach wand now uses 2-button system - perhaps the single dual-function button used on the DC14/15 proved too confusing for users!

Attachments:
File comment: New lightweight wand and 'collapse' button
IMG_3019.JPG
IMG_3019.JPG [ 72.87 KiB | Viewed 9661 times ]
File comment: HEPA post-motor filter
IMG_3013.JPG
IMG_3013.JPG [ 89.37 KiB | Viewed 9661 times ]
File comment: Pre-motor filter
IMG_3009.JPG
IMG_3009.JPG [ 65.83 KiB | Viewed 9661 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:17 pm 

Hi Dysonanimal

What is the new plastic wand like on the DC33? Liking the pictures you managed to take in the shop of the DC33. Like the fact you can wash both pre and post filters on the DC33 like you can on the DC24 & DC25. If I'm right you can only do this on the DC27 Animal

Dysonball

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next