DC14 Animal won't start
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:19 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: DC14 Animal won't start
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:08 pm 

Dyson model: DC14 Animal
We have a DC14 Animal which recently stopped working. When the start button is pressed it usually hums loudly for a second or so then nothing.

Have changed the filters, cleaned everything and have now fitted a new motor and it still will not start.
The wiring on the new motor was slightly different with the connections being on either side of the motor. I connected blue to blue and red to brown and rebuilt the DC14. Switched it on and it hummed loudly and promptly blew the fuse. Thinking I had connected the motor incorrectly I stripped it down again (I'm getting quicker each time!) and swapped the connectors round, rebuilt it and when I switched it on it hummed briefly again and then nothing.

I have got my father-in-law coming over tomorrow which a multi-meter so we will check the circuits / continuity. Anyone able to suggest what is wrong before I fall on my sword an fork out £300 for a new Dyson?

Post subject: Re: DC14 Animal won't start
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:23 pm 

It's an AC motor so it doesn't matter which way round the connectors go.

It sounds like the motor is trying to go but has not got enough power to turn the clutch and brushbar. Have you checked that the brushbar is turning freely and you can turn the motor spindle when it is fitted (though this might be quite hard at the best of times). The other option is that there is a damaged cable leading to reduced power being delivered to the motor, but I think that's much less likely.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:54 pm 

Hi Onion
Thanks for the reply. The brush bar turns freely. Not sure about the motor spindle. If it is hard to turn what does that signify?
I will strip it again and check now.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:11 pm 

Motor spindle is not turning freely.

Using a pair of pliers to hold the spindle it rotates freely.

Rather than totally rebuild the Dyson i tried to turn it on whilst partially stripped down but there was nothing at all from it. No hum, no smell. Nothing!

I did note some black marks on the Commutator as if it had overheated. On the original motor the commutators are black and look worn. The armature looks burnt leading me to conclude the original motor burnt out.

I don't understand what would have caused the new motor burn out.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]